PHOENIX — The man who led a failed attempt to recall Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio earlier this year has dropped a lawsuit he filed against the sheriff.
The trial was set to start Tuesday, but Valley activist Randy Parraz dropped the lawsuit at the last minute.
Parraz, president of Citizens for a Better Arizona, had been arrested in 2008 for trespassing and disorderly conduct at a Maricopa County Board of Supervisors meeting. A judge dismissed those charges.
Parraz then filed a lawsuit against the sheriff, claiming that he was maliciously prosecuted.
Parraz said in a statement that the factors that led him to drop the lawsuit “shall remain confidential.” He described a press release issued by the sheriff’s office about the end of the lawsuit as a personal attack.
The sheriff’s release called Parraz’s behavior as that of a “scared little kid with a reckless disregard for taxpayers” and claimed that Parraz had been harassing and interfering with the sheriff’s daily responsibilities with “sophomoric actions that disrupted government.”
Those actions included sending live chickens to the office, claimed Arpaio.
Arpaio reiterated his claims about Parraz’s personal attacks on 92.3 KTAR. “I’d be glad to show anybody all of his garbage that he’s been going against me.”
Arpaio said he thinks he knows why Parraz dropped the lawsuit. “I just suspect that he knew that the jury that was about to be picked was going to come back in our favor,” Arpaio said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths