PHOENIX — The man who led a failed attempt to recall Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio earlier this year has dropped a lawsuit he filed against the sheriff.
The trial was set to start Tuesday, but Valley activist Randy Parraz dropped the lawsuit at the last minute.
Parraz, president of Citizens for a Better Arizona, had been arrested in 2008 for trespassing and disorderly conduct at a Maricopa County Board of Supervisors meeting. A judge dismissed those charges.
Parraz then filed a lawsuit against the sheriff, claiming that he was maliciously prosecuted.
Parraz said in a statement that the factors that led him to drop the lawsuit “shall remain confidential.” He described a press release issued by the sheriff’s office about the end of the lawsuit as a personal attack.
The sheriff’s release called Parraz’s behavior as that of a “scared little kid with a reckless disregard for taxpayers” and claimed that Parraz had been harassing and interfering with the sheriff’s daily responsibilities with “sophomoric actions that disrupted government.”
Those actions included sending live chickens to the office, claimed Arpaio.
Arpaio reiterated his claims about Parraz’s personal attacks on 92.3 KTAR. “I’d be glad to show anybody all of his garbage that he’s been going against me.”
Arpaio said he thinks he knows why Parraz dropped the lawsuit. “I just suspect that he knew that the jury that was about to be picked was going to come back in our favor,” Arpaio said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon