PHOENIX — Parents, please note: Do not ask underage offspring to hold a beer at an Arizona Cardinals football game.
John Coulter did just that at Saturday’s preseason home opener and was busted by a pair of state liquor board officers. He and his 15-year-old son were asked to leave University of Phoenix Stadium.
“I first thought it was a ‘Candid Camera’ joke, I thought someone was goofing around. I was waiting for someone to jump out with a camera and say the whole thing was a prank,” Coulter told 92.3 KTAR on Wednesday.
The season ticketholder and his son had stopped at concessions for drinks on the way to their seats — beer for dad, soda for son.
When a line formed by fans waiting for ushers to check their tickets, Coulter and the boy attempted an end-around and stood by a railing for Coulter to take quick picture. He handed the cup of beer to the boy while he took a camera out of his pocket.
“He had the cup in his hands for eight seconds,” Coulter said. “It was harmless.”
Shortly after the photo was taken, two men approached, one of whom flashed a badge and identified himself as a liquor board officer. “One of them explained he observed me handing beer to my son.
“He started rattling off all the rules I’d broken by doing that.”
Coulter admitted to interrupting the officer to explain his son only held the cup. But he also asked his son if he had sneaked a sip.
“He said ‘No.’ ”
They missed the game, a 12-7 win over the Dallas Cowboys, but that’s preferable to the more serious consequences of dad being jailed or fined $2,500.
The Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control said it was investigating the incident.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this article.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon