PHOENIX — Parents, please note: Do not ask underage offspring to hold a beer at an Arizona Cardinals football game.
John Coulter did just that at Saturday’s preseason home opener and was busted by a pair of state liquor board officers. He and his 15-year-old son were asked to leave University of Phoenix Stadium.
“I first thought it was a ‘Candid Camera’ joke, I thought someone was goofing around. I was waiting for someone to jump out with a camera and say the whole thing was a prank,” Coulter told 92.3 KTAR on Wednesday.
The season ticketholder and his son had stopped at concessions for drinks on the way to their seats — beer for dad, soda for son.
When a line formed by fans waiting for ushers to check their tickets, Coulter and the boy attempted an end-around and stood by a railing for Coulter to take quick picture. He handed the cup of beer to the boy while he took a camera out of his pocket.
“He had the cup in his hands for eight seconds,” Coulter said. “It was harmless.”
Shortly after the photo was taken, two men approached, one of whom flashed a badge and identified himself as a liquor board officer. “One of them explained he observed me handing beer to my son.
“He started rattling off all the rules I’d broken by doing that.”
Coulter admitted to interrupting the officer to explain his son only held the cup. But he also asked his son if he had sneaked a sip.
“He said ‘No.’ ”
They missed the game, a 12-7 win over the Dallas Cowboys, but that’s preferable to the more serious consequences of dad being jailed or fined $2,500.
The Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control said it was investigating the incident.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier