GILBERT, Ariz. — The Valley will soon be home to an extension of a Catholic university from the Midwest.
Chicago-based St. Xavier University plans to open an 80,000-square-foot campus in downtown Gilbert by early 2015. It will be the city’s first college campus.
The school will offer several degree programs.
“It will bring with it its graduate and undergraduate nursing, education, and business [programs],” said Gilbert Economic Development Director Dan Henderson.
Henderson said that St. Xavier is highly-acclaimed.
“From a nursing perspective, it’s the only ‘Center of Excellence’ designation for a faith-based university in the United States,” he said.
The school, which will have about 600 students, isn’t the only thing being built in the area.
“The voters of the town approved a 360-space parking structure,” aid Henderson. “That will be just east of the university in our downtown.”
Henderson said the school will add to the growing vibrancy of downtown Gilbert.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains