GILBERT, Ariz. — The Valley will soon be home to an extension of a Catholic university from the Midwest.
Chicago-based St. Xavier University plans to open an 80,000-square-foot campus in downtown Gilbert by early 2015. It will be the city’s first college campus.
The school will offer several degree programs.
“It will bring with it its graduate and undergraduate nursing, education, and business [programs],” said Gilbert Economic Development Director Dan Henderson.
Henderson said that St. Xavier is highly-acclaimed.
“From a nursing perspective, it’s the only ‘Center of Excellence’ designation for a faith-based university in the United States,” he said.
The school, which will have about 600 students, isn’t the only thing being built in the area.
“The voters of the town approved a 360-space parking structure,” aid Henderson. “That will be just east of the university in our downtown.”
Henderson said the school will add to the growing vibrancy of downtown Gilbert.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development