GILBERT, Ariz. — The Valley will soon be home to an extension of a Catholic university from the Midwest.
Chicago-based St. Xavier University plans to open an 80,000-square-foot campus in downtown Gilbert by early 2015. It will be the city’s first college campus.
The school will offer several degree programs.
“It will bring with it its graduate and undergraduate nursing, education, and business [programs],” said Gilbert Economic Development Director Dan Henderson.
Henderson said that St. Xavier is highly-acclaimed.
“From a nursing perspective, it’s the only ‘Center of Excellence’ designation for a faith-based university in the United States,” he said.
The school, which will have about 600 students, isn’t the only thing being built in the area.
“The voters of the town approved a 360-space parking structure,” aid Henderson. “That will be just east of the university in our downtown.”
Henderson said the school will add to the growing vibrancy of downtown Gilbert.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.