MESA — He wanted to eat and run, but in the end was placed in cuffs and hauled off to jail.
According to police, 30-year-old Christian Javier Cuevas entered a Mesa supermarket on Aug. 18, refused to pay for the food he had eaten inside the store and attempted to walk out with a bag of goods.
When officers arrived on scene, the incident turned violent.
“The female officer was punched in the face, the male was also punched a couple of times,” said Mesa Police Sergeant Tony Landato. “We had to have units respond in code three to get him into custody.”
The officers were exposed to the suspect’s blood during the brawl, but fortunately, they didn’t have open wounds which would require immediate medical attention.
Both the officers and the suspect received minor bruises and abrasions. The suspect was later booked on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and other charges.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains