MESA — He wanted to eat and run, but in the end was placed in cuffs and hauled off to jail.
According to police, 30-year-old Christian Javier Cuevas entered a Mesa supermarket on Aug. 18, refused to pay for the food he had eaten inside the store and attempted to walk out with a bag of goods.
When officers arrived on scene, the incident turned violent.
“The female officer was punched in the face, the male was also punched a couple of times,” said Mesa Police Sergeant Tony Landato. “We had to have units respond in code three to get him into custody.”
The officers were exposed to the suspect’s blood during the brawl, but fortunately, they didn’t have open wounds which would require immediate medical attention.
Both the officers and the suspect received minor bruises and abrasions. The suspect was later booked on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and other charges.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.