MESA — He wanted to eat and run, but in the end was placed in cuffs and hauled off to jail.
According to police, 30-year-old Christian Javier Cuevas entered a Mesa supermarket on Aug. 18, refused to pay for the food he had eaten inside the store and attempted to walk out with a bag of goods.
When officers arrived on scene, the incident turned violent.
“The female officer was punched in the face, the male was also punched a couple of times,” said Mesa Police Sergeant Tony Landato. “We had to have units respond in code three to get him into custody.”
The officers were exposed to the suspect’s blood during the brawl, but fortunately, they didn’t have open wounds which would require immediate medical attention.
Both the officers and the suspect received minor bruises and abrasions. The suspect was later booked on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and other charges.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food