PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer will lead a trade mission to India this week, her office said Monday.
“Our state economy has come so far over the past four years, thanks to the pro-growth climate we’ve worked hard to create. To remain competitive and ensure Arizona’s economic vitality, we must forge and secure strong partnerships beyond Arizona and the United States,” Brewer said in a press release. “Arizona deeply values its relationship with India, and recognizes the potential for meaningful and mutual business investment. It’s essential that Arizona capitalize on the opportunity.”
Along with the Arizona Commerce Authority, Brewer is scheduled to meet with numerous Indian officials, as well as leaders in technology. infrastructure and energy.
Brewer will also encourage tourism, as over 38 million international visitors came to Arizona last year, pumping $19.3 billion into the state’s economy.
“The tourism industry is an integral producer of jobs and development throughout Arizona,” said Brewer. “These missions provide us a valuable opportunity to showcase Arizona to international markets
Arizona Commerce Authority President and CEO Sandra Watson said the economies of Arizona and India are very similar.
“With exports from Arizona to India recently up 78 percent, India represents an emerging market and area of significant opportunity,” Watson said in an interview. “Arizona’s key industry sector strengths in aerospace and defense, technology, bioscience and advanced manufacturing are well aligned with India’s growing domestic needs. This mission is an important part of cultivating trade and investment opportunities for Arizona and showcasing the state’s pro-business climate to companies in India looking for expansion in the U.S.”
India is the second-fastest growing economy in the world and is expected to take over the top spot by 2015. It is also the fastest-growing market for U.S. exports.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain