PHOENIX — For about three years, a former Fazoli’s restaurant sat empty next to the East Valley Institute of Technology in Mesa.
Superintendent Sally Downey said it’s been a real eyesore since the Italian fast food restaurant closed its doors.
“People have broken into it and taken all the copper…and have really done some damage,” she said.
That’s about to change. EVIT spent $245,000 for the property on Main Street between Dobson and Alma School roads and has begun the makeover process.
Construction, welding and HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) students will take over before the interior design students work their magic. Then healthcare and culinary students will work together to offer specialty meals.
“People have allergies,” said Downey. “Some people can’t eat anything with MSG, some people are glucose intolerant. There’s all these issue out there that have to do with the food we eat. So other than just good old healthy meals where we can count calories and portions we’ll also have specialty type meals.”
Downey said the restaurant will offer dine-in and takeout service when it opens next year.
EVIT will probably hold a contest for students to pick a name for the new restaurant.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes