PHOENIX — For about three years, a former Fazoli’s restaurant sat empty next to the East Valley Institute of Technology in Mesa.
Superintendent Sally Downey said it’s been a real eyesore since the Italian fast food restaurant closed its doors.
“People have broken into it and taken all the copper…and have really done some damage,” she said.
That’s about to change. EVIT spent $245,000 for the property on Main Street between Dobson and Alma School roads and has begun the makeover process.
Construction, welding and HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) students will take over before the interior design students work their magic. Then healthcare and culinary students will work together to offer specialty meals.
“People have allergies,” said Downey. “Some people can’t eat anything with MSG, some people are glucose intolerant. There’s all these issue out there that have to do with the food we eat. So other than just good old healthy meals where we can count calories and portions we’ll also have specialty type meals.”
Downey said the restaurant will offer dine-in and takeout service when it opens next year.
EVIT will probably hold a contest for students to pick a name for the new restaurant.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food