PHOENIX — The 100 Club of Arizona has raised $3 million to help the families of the 19 hotshots who were killed in June fighting the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
It’s the largest amount of donations in the club’s history. Ciara Franklin with the 100 Club of Arizona said the money is being doled out based on need.
“Paying off debt, providing health insurance for those unable to get it,” she said.
Franklin said the goal is to provide health insurance for the hotshots’ spouses and children, including those yet to be born.
“They may not see the money coming in as cash but we’re handling their bills and taking care of it,” she said. “Car loans, student loans and, in the future, legal advice, counseling and financial help.”
Chuck Tidey, the chairman of the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group, said he hopes to have every uninsured homeowner who lost property in the Yarnell Hill fire back into a new home by the end of the year.
Tidey said about 10 of the more than 100 homes destroyed didn’t have insurance. Donations will cover the cost of rebuilding or replacing that cost with volunteer labor..
Tidey said the main goal is getting all of the homes rebuilt and back on the tax rolls soon because the fire department and schools count on that money.
Tidey said he’s very concerned about where the money is going to come from to repair the 50-year-old water pipes that were damaged by heavy fire equipment rolling over them this summer. He hoped the money will come in the form of a community block grant.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food