So the tally for the fundraising so far for the Yarnell Hill Firefighters is at $9 million.
A lot of money, for sure, but obviously Arizonans hearts are overflowing for the families of the 19 fallen.
Last week on the show, we talked about the fact that the families of the “seasonal” firefighters aren’t going to get the same benefits as the full time employees and we sympathized with their situation. But if the payouts would bankrupt the city, and the city says they would, you have to understand their side too.
But here is a pot of money, a big one, and a grant committee will meet next month to try to disburse the money. Is it out of the question that some of those “seasonal employees'” families get a a little more of the charitable donations than the others?
That $9 million is not technically public money, in that it was voluntarily donated. It’s charity in its purest form.
So let’s try to make it a little more equal for those families. Those families lost just much as the “full-time” employees’ families, but because of a necessary technicality in the city’s contract with its firefighters, they don’t get the same death benefits.
Sometimes life isn’t fair but that’s when fellow citizens come in and donate because we don’t like when life isn’t fair.
Shouldn’t we get to make it right when we can?
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon