So the tally for the fundraising so far for the Yarnell Hill Firefighters is at $9 million.
A lot of money, for sure, but obviously Arizonans hearts are overflowing for the families of the 19 fallen.
Last week on the show, we talked about the fact that the families of the “seasonal” firefighters aren’t going to get the same benefits as the full time employees and we sympathized with their situation. But if the payouts would bankrupt the city, and the city says they would, you have to understand their side too.
But here is a pot of money, a big one, and a grant committee will meet next month to try to disburse the money. Is it out of the question that some of those “seasonal employees'” families get a a little more of the charitable donations than the others?
That $9 million is not technically public money, in that it was voluntarily donated. It’s charity in its purest form.
So let’s try to make it a little more equal for those families. Those families lost just much as the “full-time” employees’ families, but because of a necessary technicality in the city’s contract with its firefighters, they don’t get the same death benefits.
Sometimes life isn’t fair but that’s when fellow citizens come in and donate because we don’t like when life isn’t fair.
Shouldn’t we get to make it right when we can?
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.