PHOENIX — A man who identified himself as a Minuteman was arrested Saturday after pointing a rifle at a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy, court documents said.
MCSO deputies P. Arend and G. Montanez were searching the area around mile marker 140 on Interstate 8 when a self-identified Minuteman, Richard Malley, pointed a rifle and a flashlight at Arend and began issuing commands.
Arend identified himself as a deputy sheriff and asked that Malley lower his weapon. Malley demanded to see identification and did not lower the rifle.
When asked to show identification, Malley said he did not carry any as he feared a drug cartel would discover who he was.
After Arend showed Malley his patches and clothing, Malley lowered the rifle and said he, along with two other Minutemen, were searching for illegal immigrants and drug smugglers. When Arend and Montanez arrived and flashed their vehicle’s high beams and honked — a common practice to lure drug smugglers — Malley felt he was witnessing a crime.
Malley later admitted he had never seen a drug load being picked up.
After diffusing the situation, Arend asked Malley to hand over his weapons, to which he replied “You aren’t taking my weapons.”
Malley, an Air Force veteran, was armed with an AR-15 rifle, a .45-caliber handgun and a knife.
Malley was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated assault, a felony.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns