PHOENIX — A man who identified himself as a Minuteman was arrested Saturday after pointing a rifle at a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy, court documents said.
MCSO deputies P. Arend and G. Montanez were searching the area around mile marker 140 on Interstate 8 when a self-identified Minuteman, Richard Malley, pointed a rifle and a flashlight at Arend and began issuing commands.
Arend identified himself as a deputy sheriff and asked that Malley lower his weapon. Malley demanded to see identification and did not lower the rifle.
When asked to show identification, Malley said he did not carry any as he feared a drug cartel would discover who he was.
After Arend showed Malley his patches and clothing, Malley lowered the rifle and said he, along with two other Minutemen, were searching for illegal immigrants and drug smugglers. When Arend and Montanez arrived and flashed their vehicle’s high beams and honked — a common practice to lure drug smugglers — Malley felt he was witnessing a crime.
Malley later admitted he had never seen a drug load being picked up.
After diffusing the situation, Arend asked Malley to hand over his weapons, to which he replied “You aren’t taking my weapons.”
Malley, an Air Force veteran, was armed with an AR-15 rifle, a .45-caliber handgun and a knife.
Malley was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated assault, a felony.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food