PHOENIX — When U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents raided 16 Danny’s Car Wash locations around the Valley over the weekend, they said they held 223 people for questioning.
Of those, 14 were placed under federal criminal arrest and 30 were taken into custody for deportation proceedings based on prior criminal and immigration histories.
Among the 30 is the husband of Laura Torres. Through a translator, standing in front of an ICE building, she said, “He told me that they were trying to make him sign a voluntary departure,” she said in tears.
Her husband is no criminal, she said, but he had been deported before, several years ago. He returned to find work.
ICE said the raids were focused on the company and not individual workers, but immigrant rights advocates see it another way.
“The fact that is over 200 people were detained, that over 200 people had no idea how to contact their families and thirty people stayed in detention and to the community that looks exactly like a raid,” said Tania Unzueta with the National Day Labor Organizing Network.
In a written statement, ICE said 179 people qualified for prosecutorial discretion under the agency’s enforcement guidelines and were released from custody within hours of being interviewed.
The 14 defendants are expected to make their initial court appearance Monday afternoon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.