PHOENIX — When U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents raided 16 Danny’s Car Wash locations around the Valley over the weekend, they said they held 223 people for questioning.
Of those, 14 were placed under federal criminal arrest and 30 were taken into custody for deportation proceedings based on prior criminal and immigration histories.
Among the 30 is the husband of Laura Torres. Through a translator, standing in front of an ICE building, she said, “He told me that they were trying to make him sign a voluntary departure,” she said in tears.
Her husband is no criminal, she said, but he had been deported before, several years ago. He returned to find work.
ICE said the raids were focused on the company and not individual workers, but immigrant rights advocates see it another way.
“The fact that is over 200 people were detained, that over 200 people had no idea how to contact their families and thirty people stayed in detention and to the community that looks exactly like a raid,” said Tania Unzueta with the National Day Labor Organizing Network.
In a written statement, ICE said 179 people qualified for prosecutorial discretion under the agency’s enforcement guidelines and were released from custody within hours of being interviewed.
The 14 defendants are expected to make their initial court appearance Monday afternoon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development