PHOENIX — When U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents raided 16 Danny’s Car Wash locations around the Valley over the weekend, they said they held 223 people for questioning.
Of those, 14 were placed under federal criminal arrest and 30 were taken into custody for deportation proceedings based on prior criminal and immigration histories.
Among the 30 is the husband of Laura Torres. Through a translator, standing in front of an ICE building, she said, “He told me that they were trying to make him sign a voluntary departure,” she said in tears.
Her husband is no criminal, she said, but he had been deported before, several years ago. He returned to find work.
ICE said the raids were focused on the company and not individual workers, but immigrant rights advocates see it another way.
“The fact that is over 200 people were detained, that over 200 people had no idea how to contact their families and thirty people stayed in detention and to the community that looks exactly like a raid,” said Tania Unzueta with the National Day Labor Organizing Network.
In a written statement, ICE said 179 people qualified for prosecutorial discretion under the agency’s enforcement guidelines and were released from custody within hours of being interviewed.
The 14 defendants are expected to make their initial court appearance Monday afternoon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night