PHOENIX — New developments in the fight to get federal funding for the Yarnell Hill fire victims revealed on KTAR’s Jay Lawrence show.
“We’re not giving up, we’re getting all our ducks in a row,” Brewer told KTAR. “We’re going to appeal.”
Earlier this month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency denied the governor’s request to declare the area a major disaster area which would have included additional federal funding. In a letter to Brewer, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the state, local communities and volunteer agencies are capable of helping uninsured homeowners replace and rebuild their homes.
But, Brewer told KTAR that Texas was also denied federal aid earlier this year after a fertilizer plant explosion leveled homes and killed 15 people.
“And the governor was able to appeal it and he won,” she said. “Because it doesn’t just fit into their little box, so to speak.”
Nineteen firefighters were killed fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire and more than 130 homes were damaged or destroyed in the fire south of Prescott.
Arizona has until early next month to formally appeal.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.