PHOENIX — New developments in the fight to get federal funding for the Yarnell Hill fire victims revealed on KTAR’s Jay Lawrence show.
“We’re not giving up, we’re getting all our ducks in a row,” Brewer told KTAR. “We’re going to appeal.”
Earlier this month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency denied the governor’s request to declare the area a major disaster area which would have included additional federal funding. In a letter to Brewer, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the state, local communities and volunteer agencies are capable of helping uninsured homeowners replace and rebuild their homes.
But, Brewer told KTAR that Texas was also denied federal aid earlier this year after a fertilizer plant explosion leveled homes and killed 15 people.
“And the governor was able to appeal it and he won,” she said. “Because it doesn’t just fit into their little box, so to speak.”
Nineteen firefighters were killed fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire and more than 130 homes were damaged or destroyed in the fire south of Prescott.
Arizona has until early next month to formally appeal.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night