PHOENIX — New developments in the fight to get federal funding for the Yarnell Hill fire victims revealed on KTAR’s Jay Lawrence show.
“We’re not giving up, we’re getting all our ducks in a row,” Brewer told KTAR. “We’re going to appeal.”
Earlier this month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency denied the governor’s request to declare the area a major disaster area which would have included additional federal funding. In a letter to Brewer, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the state, local communities and volunteer agencies are capable of helping uninsured homeowners replace and rebuild their homes.
But, Brewer told KTAR that Texas was also denied federal aid earlier this year after a fertilizer plant explosion leveled homes and killed 15 people.
“And the governor was able to appeal it and he won,” she said. “Because it doesn’t just fit into their little box, so to speak.”
Nineteen firefighters were killed fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire and more than 130 homes were damaged or destroyed in the fire south of Prescott.
Arizona has until early next month to formally appeal.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development