PHOENIX — A man is dead after a bizarre burglary incident in Phoenix.
Phoenix Police responded to a burglary call near 61st Avenue and Flower Street shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, it appeared the house had been burglarized, but the suspect was gone, according to Sergeant Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department.
A short time later, a homeowner in the same neighborhood called police reporting sounds in his attic. Officers quickly set up a perimeter and began giving commands. A man then stuck his head out of a screen in the home’s attic and told officers that he was armed and had no intention of coming out.
Officers began to notice smoke coming from the attic, and the home was quickly engulfed in flames. Phoenix Fire Department officers later found the man’s body after putting the fire out.
“We don’t know why this individual ran into this house. We don’t believe that he had any reason to be there,” said Thompson. “We think he was a burglary suspect who was trying to find refuge in another person’s house.”
One officer was treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was hurt in the incident.
Crews from the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau and the Phoenix Fire Department’s arson unit are investigating the fire.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night