PHOENIX — A man is dead after a bizarre burglary incident in Phoenix.
Phoenix Police responded to a burglary call near 61st Avenue and Flower Street shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, it appeared the house had been burglarized, but the suspect was gone, according to Sergeant Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department.
A short time later, a homeowner in the same neighborhood called police reporting sounds in his attic. Officers quickly set up a perimeter and began giving commands. A man then stuck his head out of a screen in the home’s attic and told officers that he was armed and had no intention of coming out.
Officers began to notice smoke coming from the attic, and the home was quickly engulfed in flames. Phoenix Fire Department officers later found the man’s body after putting the fire out.
“We don’t know why this individual ran into this house. We don’t believe that he had any reason to be there,” said Thompson. “We think he was a burglary suspect who was trying to find refuge in another person’s house.”
One officer was treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was hurt in the incident.
Crews from the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau and the Phoenix Fire Department’s arson unit are investigating the fire.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America