PHOENIX — A man is dead after a bizarre burglary incident in Phoenix.
Phoenix Police responded to a burglary call near 61st Avenue and Flower Street shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, it appeared the house had been burglarized, but the suspect was gone, according to Sergeant Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department.
A short time later, a homeowner in the same neighborhood called police reporting sounds in his attic. Officers quickly set up a perimeter and began giving commands. A man then stuck his head out of a screen in the home’s attic and told officers that he was armed and had no intention of coming out.
Officers began to notice smoke coming from the attic, and the home was quickly engulfed in flames. Phoenix Fire Department officers later found the man’s body after putting the fire out.
“We don’t know why this individual ran into this house. We don’t believe that he had any reason to be there,” said Thompson. “We think he was a burglary suspect who was trying to find refuge in another person’s house.”
One officer was treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was hurt in the incident.
Crews from the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau and the Phoenix Fire Department’s arson unit are investigating the fire.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development