Here’s big news for Arizona Women! On Friday, Aug. 16, two Arizona surgeons will be performing a hysterectomy at Arrowhead Hospital unlike any ever done before in the state.
Drs. Ivor Benjamin and Dennis Scribner of Arizona Center for Cancer Care will do the first single-site gynecological robotic surgery using the da Vinci Si robot. That means only one incision — in the belly button and no bigger than an inch for the entire surgery! Compare that to three to five incisions.
Benjamin said this type of robotic surgery holds great promise for women.
“It will be cosmetically more appealing to women to only have a single incision in their belly button,” he said. “We should see a decrease in the amount of pain and a quicker, more speedy recovery.”
Benjamin and Scribner are only the 27th and 28th surgeons in the world, respectively, trained to do this type of surgery, and the only ones in Arizona at all.
Benjamin, an oncologist, said his plans are to expand the use of the single-site surgery to include gynecologic cancers, which should mean a faster recovery time and the ability for patients to get chemotherapy and radiation faster, increasing a woman’s odds of beating the disease!
Many thanks to Dr. Benjamin for letting us have a look behind the scenes.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food