PHOENIX — A man who barricaded himself inside of a Surprise, Ariz. home Thursday has surrendered, police said.
Authorities received a 911 call about 1:30 p.m. that the suspect, Paul Alegria III, had assaulted his ex-girlfriend and she and her two children had fled a residence in the 14900 block of West Parkwood Dr. When police arrived, Alegria locked himself inside and refused to leave.
He surrendered to police about 4 p.m.
The person who alerted police said Alegria had expressed a desire to be killed by police.
Alegria was armed with a handgun during the barricade situation.
After surrendering, Alegria was taken to a local hospital. Police believed he had ingested medication.
Nearby Kingswood Elementary School was advised to change their bus routes.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night