PHOENIX — Popular Mechanics magazine is out with its list of the most dangerous roads in the country and Interstate 10 between the Valley and California has been named among the most dangerous roads in America.
The stretch averages about 85 deaths per year. According to the magazine’s website, the state of Arizona has about 700 road deaths each year. The small community of Quartzite is right on the border and its fire chief Kevin Hess works many of the crashes.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said its research shows 29 deaths per year on that particular stretch of road.
“People go to the Colorado River to spend the day and get tired, consume too much alcohol and get behind the wheel. Those are factors,” Hess said.
Rainfall is rare in the area but when it happens it becomes another factor in the crashes.
“We have ruts in the freeway caused by big rigs and people get in those and hydroplane and lose control. It’s a long lonely section of freeway where you set the cruise control, hold the steering wheel in one spot and zone out, fall asleep,” Hess said.
Dealing with the high number of crashes takes a toll on first responders.
“Families are seperated, losing loved ones in crashes. It’s a terrible, terrible thing. One of my least favorite things about being in the fire service is watching that happen,” Hess said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America