PHOENIX — Popular Mechanics magazine is out with its list of the most dangerous roads in the country and Interstate 10 between the Valley and California has been named among the most dangerous roads in America.
The stretch averages about 85 deaths per year. According to the magazine’s website, the state of Arizona has about 700 road deaths each year. The small community of Quartzite is right on the border and its fire chief Kevin Hess works many of the crashes.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said its research shows 29 deaths per year on that particular stretch of road.
“People go to the Colorado River to spend the day and get tired, consume too much alcohol and get behind the wheel. Those are factors,” Hess said.
Rainfall is rare in the area but when it happens it becomes another factor in the crashes.
“We have ruts in the freeway caused by big rigs and people get in those and hydroplane and lose control. It’s a long lonely section of freeway where you set the cruise control, hold the steering wheel in one spot and zone out, fall asleep,” Hess said.
Dealing with the high number of crashes takes a toll on first responders.
“Families are seperated, losing loved ones in crashes. It’s a terrible, terrible thing. One of my least favorite things about being in the fire service is watching that happen,” Hess said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets