PHOENIX — Popular Mechanics magazine is out with its list of the most dangerous roads in the country and Interstate 10 between the Valley and California has been named among the most dangerous roads in America.
The stretch averages about 85 deaths per year. According to the magazine’s website, the state of Arizona has about 700 road deaths each year. The small community of Quartzite is right on the border and its fire chief Kevin Hess works many of the crashes.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said its research shows 29 deaths per year on that particular stretch of road.
“People go to the Colorado River to spend the day and get tired, consume too much alcohol and get behind the wheel. Those are factors,” Hess said.
Rainfall is rare in the area but when it happens it becomes another factor in the crashes.
“We have ruts in the freeway caused by big rigs and people get in those and hydroplane and lose control. It’s a long lonely section of freeway where you set the cruise control, hold the steering wheel in one spot and zone out, fall asleep,” Hess said.
Dealing with the high number of crashes takes a toll on first responders.
“Families are seperated, losing loved ones in crashes. It’s a terrible, terrible thing. One of my least favorite things about being in the fire service is watching that happen,” Hess said.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains