PHOENIX — Popular Mechanics magazine is out with its list of the most dangerous roads in the country and Interstate 10 between the Valley and California has been named among the most dangerous roads in America.
The stretch averages about 85 deaths per year. According to the magazine’s website, the state of Arizona has about 700 road deaths each year. The small community of Quartzite is right on the border and its fire chief Kevin Hess works many of the crashes.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said its research shows 29 deaths per year on that particular stretch of road.
“People go to the Colorado River to spend the day and get tired, consume too much alcohol and get behind the wheel. Those are factors,” Hess said.
Rainfall is rare in the area but when it happens it becomes another factor in the crashes.
“We have ruts in the freeway caused by big rigs and people get in those and hydroplane and lose control. It’s a long lonely section of freeway where you set the cruise control, hold the steering wheel in one spot and zone out, fall asleep,” Hess said.
Dealing with the high number of crashes takes a toll on first responders.
“Families are seperated, losing loved ones in crashes. It’s a terrible, terrible thing. One of my least favorite things about being in the fire service is watching that happen,” Hess said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development