PHOENIX — A Kingman, Ariz. hotel that once housed Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh has received a grant designed to preserve historic Route 66.
The National Park Service granted the Hilltop Motel a much-coveted Route 66 Cost-Share Preservation Grant. If the motel’s owner, Dennis Schroeder, comes up with $21,000, the Park Service will match that with a $20,000 grant for much-needed repairs.
The most notable guest who has stayed at the motel is the Oklahoma City Bomber, who killed 168 people at the Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 2005.
“We had Timothy McVeigh in February of 1995, which is basically a few weeks before the events in Oklahoma City,” said Schroeder.
Sometimes, people are curious about the room that McVeigh stayed in.
“You’ll get a few that want it,” Schroeder said. “Other people don’t want anything to do with it. It’s just a part of history.”
Other celebrities have stopped by the motel.
“After playing Woodstock in the late ’60s or early ’70s, the group ‘Crosby, Stills and Nash’ came to the Hilltop looking for a room,” said Schroeder. “They were turned away because the motel was full for the night, but they were allowed to take showers in a room that was being used for storage.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.