PHOENIX — A Kingman, Ariz. hotel that once housed Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh has received a grant designed to preserve historic Route 66.
The National Park Service granted the Hilltop Motel a much-coveted Route 66 Cost-Share Preservation Grant. If the motel’s owner, Dennis Schroeder, comes up with $21,000, the Park Service will match that with a $20,000 grant for much-needed repairs.
The most notable guest who has stayed at the motel is the Oklahoma City Bomber, who killed 168 people at the Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 2005.
“We had Timothy McVeigh in February of 1995, which is basically a few weeks before the events in Oklahoma City,” said Schroeder.
Sometimes, people are curious about the room that McVeigh stayed in.
“You’ll get a few that want it,” Schroeder said. “Other people don’t want anything to do with it. It’s just a part of history.”
Other celebrities have stopped by the motel.
“After playing Woodstock in the late ’60s or early ’70s, the group ‘Crosby, Stills and Nash’ came to the Hilltop looking for a room,” said Schroeder. “They were turned away because the motel was full for the night, but they were allowed to take showers in a room that was being used for storage.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy