PHOENIX — A group that helps soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan is looking for a little help itself.
The Honor Walk Foundation is looking for volunteers to mentor veterans in adapting to life after the military.
“We’re relying heavily on people who have experience in business, in the trades, in manufacturing and technology, all different walks of life, to come in and work with an individual veteran,” said foundation chair Denis Day. “Help [them] make that transition and launch their career off to a good start.”
It can be tough for a veteran to adjust to life as a civilian.
“When you’ve been in uniform, being told what to do, where to go, what to eat and how to behave for the last several years of your life, coming out and interacting with people in the business community in a networking capacity is a pretty challenging thing to do,” said Day.
The foundation is starting the mentoring program this fall.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night