PHOENIX — You may want to think twice before saying, “Just one more.”
According to The Daily Mail, every Arizonan that drinks costs taxpayers about $864 every year in lost productivity, criminal justice and medical expenses.
About 42 percent of the cost of heavy drinking was paid by state or federal funds – whether through Medicare and Medicaid or by other government services. That amounted to the largest share of the cost – and less than the cost paid by heavy drinkers and their families.
Some 70percent of the costs of excessive alcohol use was incurred by binge drinkers – those who consume five or more drinks in a single sitting.
On average, each drink someone has costs taxpayers about $2 in additional costs.
Overall, drinking-related costs in the United States average about $223.5 billion per year.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night