PHOENIX — You may want to think twice before saying, “Just one more.”
According to The Daily Mail, every Arizonan that drinks costs taxpayers about $864 every year in lost productivity, criminal justice and medical expenses.
About 42 percent of the cost of heavy drinking was paid by state or federal funds – whether through Medicare and Medicaid or by other government services. That amounted to the largest share of the cost – and less than the cost paid by heavy drinkers and their families.
Some 70percent of the costs of excessive alcohol use was incurred by binge drinkers – those who consume five or more drinks in a single sitting.
On average, each drink someone has costs taxpayers about $2 in additional costs.
Overall, drinking-related costs in the United States average about $223.5 billion per year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them