PHOENIX — The city of Prescott said Wednesday it cannot afford to posthumously award full-time benefits to 13 hotshots.
The city said that granting the hotshots — who were considered part-time employees — benefits on par with those who are permanent employees would cost the city at least $51 million over 60 years, meaning annual payouts would be between $800,000 and $900,000.
Annual payouts would be dependent on annual budgets and would be non-binding, meaning it would be subject to challenges under Arizona’s “Gift Clause” prohibition.
If the city were to pay the families in one lump sum, it would cost about $24 million, three times the budget of the Prescott Fire Department.
The city has an operating budget of $30.7 million and 69 percent of that goes to public safety.
Prescott said it will not deny benefits that the hotshots were eligible for and is working with the families.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths