GLENDALE, Ariz. — Heritage Elementary School at 125th Avenue and Glendale is spending the entire week helping students understand bullying and how to prevent it.
Classroom doors are decorated with anti-bullying messages. Students have been writing down how they’ve been affected by bullies. Hundreds of kids at the school are wore orange — the color of the national anti-bullying moment — locked arms and recited the schools anti-bullying pledge on Wednesday.
Mariah Monroe, an eighth grader, said she has been the victim of social media bullying.
“It hurts inside but you just have to remember that people love you,” she said.
While the school is doing its best to teach kids about bullying, it said parents need to do their part as well.
“Talk to your child,” said Heritage Elementary Vie Principal Alicia Perez. “Ask how their day was. That’s the key.”
Perez said the school has a no-tolerance policy when it comes to bullies. The policy has led to interventions with parents because some cases of bullying have started with the student’s home life.
Bullying — both online and in person– has become a major challenge for schools nationwide.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night