GLENDALE, Ariz. — Heritage Elementary School at 125th Avenue and Glendale is spending the entire week helping students understand bullying and how to prevent it.
Classroom doors are decorated with anti-bullying messages. Students have been writing down how they’ve been affected by bullies. Hundreds of kids at the school are wore orange — the color of the national anti-bullying moment — locked arms and recited the schools anti-bullying pledge on Wednesday.
Mariah Monroe, an eighth grader, said she has been the victim of social media bullying.
“It hurts inside but you just have to remember that people love you,” she said.
While the school is doing its best to teach kids about bullying, it said parents need to do their part as well.
“Talk to your child,” said Heritage Elementary Vie Principal Alicia Perez. “Ask how their day was. That’s the key.”
Perez said the school has a no-tolerance policy when it comes to bullies. The policy has led to interventions with parents because some cases of bullying have started with the student’s home life.
Bullying — both online and in person– has become a major challenge for schools nationwide.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier