GLENDALE, Ariz. — Heritage Elementary School at 125th Avenue and Glendale is spending the entire week helping students understand bullying and how to prevent it.
Classroom doors are decorated with anti-bullying messages. Students have been writing down how they’ve been affected by bullies. Hundreds of kids at the school are wore orange — the color of the national anti-bullying moment — locked arms and recited the schools anti-bullying pledge on Wednesday.
Mariah Monroe, an eighth grader, said she has been the victim of social media bullying.
“It hurts inside but you just have to remember that people love you,” she said.
While the school is doing its best to teach kids about bullying, it said parents need to do their part as well.
“Talk to your child,” said Heritage Elementary Vie Principal Alicia Perez. “Ask how their day was. That’s the key.”
Perez said the school has a no-tolerance policy when it comes to bullies. The policy has led to interventions with parents because some cases of bullying have started with the student’s home life.
Bullying — both online and in person– has become a major challenge for schools nationwide.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food