GLENDALE, Ariz. — Heritage Elementary School at 125th Avenue and Glendale is spending the entire week helping students understand bullying and how to prevent it.
Classroom doors are decorated with anti-bullying messages. Students have been writing down how they’ve been affected by bullies. Hundreds of kids at the school are wore orange — the color of the national anti-bullying moment — locked arms and recited the schools anti-bullying pledge on Wednesday.
Mariah Monroe, an eighth grader, said she has been the victim of social media bullying.
“It hurts inside but you just have to remember that people love you,” she said.
While the school is doing its best to teach kids about bullying, it said parents need to do their part as well.
“Talk to your child,” said Heritage Elementary Vie Principal Alicia Perez. “Ask how their day was. That’s the key.”
Perez said the school has a no-tolerance policy when it comes to bullies. The policy has led to interventions with parents because some cases of bullying have started with the student’s home life.
Bullying — both online and in person– has become a major challenge for schools nationwide.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development