PHOENIX — The wife of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is calling on the state legislature to pass tougher laws against human trafficking.
Cindy McCain wants the state to have new laws in place when it hosts the Super Bowl in 2015.
“The Super Bowl, as all of you know, is one of the world’s largest human trafficking centers when it goes on in the world,” McCain said Wednesday.
The anti-slavery Polaris Project gave Arizona a “needs improvement” grade when it comes to dealing with human trafficking.
The Polaris Project used a four-tiered system to rate states for their effectiveness in dealing with human trafficking. States doing an excellent job were placed in Tier One. Tier Two was a “good” job. Tier Three “needs improvement” and Tier Four was “failure.”
“Unfortunately, Arizona is only a Tier Three state right now,” McCain said. “But we are working very, very hard to make sure that Arizona becomes a Tier One state before our big event, which is the Super Bowl in 2015.”
McCain said that she’s confident that Gov. Jan Brewer will lead the state to adopting the tougher laws before the big game.
In 2011, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott called the Super Bowl “the single largest human trafficking incident in the United States.” The large number of fans leads to an increase in prostitution.
Forbes reported that 10,000 prostitutes were brought to Miami for the 2010 Super Bowl. There were 133 prostitution arrests in Dallas during the 2011 Super Bowl.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night