PHOENIX — The wife of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is calling on the state legislature to pass tougher laws against human trafficking.
Cindy McCain wants the state to have new laws in place when it hosts the Super Bowl in 2015.
“The Super Bowl, as all of you know, is one of the world’s largest human trafficking centers when it goes on in the world,” McCain said Wednesday.
The anti-slavery Polaris Project gave Arizona a “needs improvement” grade when it comes to dealing with human trafficking.
The Polaris Project used a four-tiered system to rate states for their effectiveness in dealing with human trafficking. States doing an excellent job were placed in Tier One. Tier Two was a “good” job. Tier Three “needs improvement” and Tier Four was “failure.”
“Unfortunately, Arizona is only a Tier Three state right now,” McCain said. “But we are working very, very hard to make sure that Arizona becomes a Tier One state before our big event, which is the Super Bowl in 2015.”
McCain said that she’s confident that Gov. Jan Brewer will lead the state to adopting the tougher laws before the big game.
In 2011, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott called the Super Bowl “the single largest human trafficking incident in the United States.” The large number of fans leads to an increase in prostitution.
Forbes reported that 10,000 prostitutes were brought to Miami for the 2010 Super Bowl. There were 133 prostitution arrests in Dallas during the 2011 Super Bowl.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns