PHOENIX — The wife of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is calling on the state legislature to pass tougher laws against human trafficking.
Cindy McCain wants the state to have new laws in place when it hosts the Super Bowl in 2015.
“The Super Bowl, as all of you know, is one of the world’s largest human trafficking centers when it goes on in the world,” McCain said Wednesday.
The anti-slavery Polaris Project gave Arizona a “needs improvement” grade when it comes to dealing with human trafficking.
The Polaris Project used a four-tiered system to rate states for their effectiveness in dealing with human trafficking. States doing an excellent job were placed in Tier One. Tier Two was a “good” job. Tier Three “needs improvement” and Tier Four was “failure.”
“Unfortunately, Arizona is only a Tier Three state right now,” McCain said. “But we are working very, very hard to make sure that Arizona becomes a Tier One state before our big event, which is the Super Bowl in 2015.”
McCain said that she’s confident that Gov. Jan Brewer will lead the state to adopting the tougher laws before the big game.
In 2011, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott called the Super Bowl “the single largest human trafficking incident in the United States.” The large number of fans leads to an increase in prostitution.
Forbes reported that 10,000 prostitutes were brought to Miami for the 2010 Super Bowl. There were 133 prostitution arrests in Dallas during the 2011 Super Bowl.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food