PHOENIX — A few hundred students in the Valley went home Wednesday with new backpacks and school supplies, from the Phoenix Suns and Mercury.
The teams’ mascots, along with former Sun Tim Kempton, surprised students at Loma Linda Elementary School with 100 backpacks collected in a supplies drive.
“You don’t want to feel different in a school environment. You want to be part of the group,” said Kempton, who played for the Suns 1992-93. “That’s hopefully what this is accomplishing, and giving them a little bit more confidence about going into the school year.”
The students are part of the nonprofit organization Playworks, which provides coaches for recess and anti-bullying techniques to hundreds of schools across the country.
The Suns collected 525 backpacks at two Valley Harkins Theatres on Saturday, while Mercury fans donated an additional 175 backpacks before Friday night’s game.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development