PHOENIX — More than 60 police officers in Surprise, Ariz. will soon be equipped with on-body cameras, the city’s police department said Wednesday.
“These cameras add a new level of documentation that will be very useful to officers and residents, as they capture video and audio during a traffic stop or at a crime scene in varying light and audio situations,” said Surprise Police Chief Mike Frazier in a press release.
The cameras, about the size of a thumb drive, have reduced officer-related complaints in other cities. They can be affixed to an officer’s shoulder, hat, sunglasses or shirt collar.
“They’re small enough in size that they’re not causing a significant issue with body movement and so forth,” said Surprise Police Sgt. Mike Donovan, adding that the audio and video captured by the camera will aid police in prosecution.
It will cost Surprise $226,717 for 61 on-officer cameras, a warranty and space to store the video captured. A majority of the cost was paid using seized assets.
Surprise experimented with the cameras for one year before making the decision to equip all officers with cameras.
Phoenix and Mesa police also use on-officer cameras.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas