PHOENIX — A group of 20 high school students from Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico are ready to take a six-day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon National Park.
But this isn’t strictly a pleasure cruise. It is to give the Latino voice to an endangered river.
The Colorado has a rich Latino heritage dating from early explorers to the farmers that have worked the land for generations and the Southwest’s future largely depends on the river. One of the Arizona high school students is from an area that depends on the river to supply much of the nation’s vegetables.
“The Colorado River connects us all through our culture and affects a grand area,” said Ian Dale from Somerton, Ariz. “It is worth looking into solutions and the river is very low by the time it reaches Yuma.”
Later this fall, five of the students on this rafting trip will be selected to brief Congress and the Obama Administration on threats to the Colorado and their solutions.
“The river’s future depends on today’s youth,” said Marco Rauda with Nuestro Rio, the company that is sponsoring the trip. “We want them to live and feel the river so they really understand what’s at stake.”
The student’s river journey starts Thursday at Lee’s Ferry and, after making the trip, the students will be transported by helicopter from the canyon floor.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food