PHOENIX — Two Phoenix police officers made a little girl’s day when they bought her a backpack and school supplies last week.
According to the department’s Facebook page, Community Action Officer Ben Carro was working at Loma Linda Elementary on Aug. 5 when he saw a young girl, Leslie Gonzales, crying.
Carro learned that Gonzales was upset because her mother could not afford a backpack for several more weeks.
“She kind of felt out of place that she didn’t have a backpack,” he said.
Carro contacted Community Action Officer Jon McLachlan and the pair went to a local Target, where they purchased a backpack and other school supplies for Gonzales.
“I felt like I needed to do something to something to help this little girl out,” said Carro. “Just a random act of kindness and kind of turn her day from being upside down to right-side up.”
Carro said Gonzales was “shocked” when he and McLachlan handed her the new supplies.
“She had a big smile on her face,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.