PHOENIX — Two Phoenix police officers made a little girl’s day when they bought her a backpack and school supplies last week.
According to the department’s Facebook page, Community Action Officer Ben Carro was working at Loma Linda Elementary on Aug. 5 when he saw a young girl, Leslie Gonzales, crying.
Carro learned that Gonzales was upset because her mother could not afford a backpack for several more weeks.
“She kind of felt out of place that she didn’t have a backpack,” he said.
Carro contacted Community Action Officer Jon McLachlan and the pair went to a local Target, where they purchased a backpack and other school supplies for Gonzales.
“I felt like I needed to do something to something to help this little girl out,” said Carro. “Just a random act of kindness and kind of turn her day from being upside down to right-side up.”
Carro said Gonzales was “shocked” when he and McLachlan handed her the new supplies.
“She had a big smile on her face,” he said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development