PHOENIX — Two Phoenix police officers made a little girl’s day when they bought her a backpack and school supplies last week.
According to the department’s Facebook page, Community Action Officer Ben Carro was working at Loma Linda Elementary on Aug. 5 when he saw a young girl, Leslie Gonzales, crying.
Carro learned that Gonzales was upset because her mother could not afford a backpack for several more weeks.
“She kind of felt out of place that she didn’t have a backpack,” he said.
Carro contacted Community Action Officer Jon McLachlan and the pair went to a local Target, where they purchased a backpack and other school supplies for Gonzales.
“I felt like I needed to do something to something to help this little girl out,” said Carro. “Just a random act of kindness and kind of turn her day from being upside down to right-side up.”
Carro said Gonzales was “shocked” when he and McLachlan handed her the new supplies.
“She had a big smile on her face,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night