PHOENIX — Maricopa County Animal Care and Control is reminding pet owners about the dangers of obesity after the department took in a cat weighing 28 pounds last week.
“Part of adopting Albert is making sure that you help him lose some weight,” Melissa Gable said.
The declawed and neutered domestic short hair cat came in as a stray from the Chandler area. After some blood work, he has been found to be free of any health issues.
Gable believes he used to be someone’s pet and was overfed.
Due to his size, the cat has difficulty walking, grooming and using the litter box, according to a press release from MCACC.
A survey conducted in 2012 by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention found that 52.5 percent of dogs and 58.3 percent of cats are considered overweight or obese.
Gable said that serious weight-related disorders can be involved, including diabetes and osteoarthritis.
Albert is being taken care of at the West Valley shelter. He is available for adoption now. For more information call 602-506-7387.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.