PHOENIX — Maricopa County Animal Care and Control is reminding pet owners about the dangers of obesity after the department took in a cat weighing 28 pounds last week.
“Part of adopting Albert is making sure that you help him lose some weight,” Melissa Gable said.
The declawed and neutered domestic short hair cat came in as a stray from the Chandler area. After some blood work, he has been found to be free of any health issues.
Gable believes he used to be someone’s pet and was overfed.
Due to his size, the cat has difficulty walking, grooming and using the litter box, according to a press release from MCACC.
A survey conducted in 2012 by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention found that 52.5 percent of dogs and 58.3 percent of cats are considered overweight or obese.
Gable said that serious weight-related disorders can be involved, including diabetes and osteoarthritis.
Albert is being taken care of at the West Valley shelter. He is available for adoption now. For more information call 602-506-7387.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development