PHOENIX — Maricopa County Animal Care and Control is reminding pet owners about the dangers of obesity after the department took in a cat weighing 28 pounds last week.
“Part of adopting Albert is making sure that you help him lose some weight,” Melissa Gable said.
The declawed and neutered domestic short hair cat came in as a stray from the Chandler area. After some blood work, he has been found to be free of any health issues.
Gable believes he used to be someone’s pet and was overfed.
Due to his size, the cat has difficulty walking, grooming and using the litter box, according to a press release from MCACC.
A survey conducted in 2012 by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention found that 52.5 percent of dogs and 58.3 percent of cats are considered overweight or obese.
Gable said that serious weight-related disorders can be involved, including diabetes and osteoarthritis.
Albert is being taken care of at the West Valley shelter. He is available for adoption now. For more information call 602-506-7387.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them