PHOENIX, Ariz. — About 1,000 students will be heading back to school Monday at the new Lookout Mountain Elementary near First Street and Coral Gables.
The old Lookout Mountain School was demolished to make room for the new school complete with a gym, eco-friendly classrooms, a two story educational building, playgrounds, ball fields and more.
Principal Trish Johnson and her teachers were in on the design from the beginning. So this is a very significant opening day of school.
“I cannot tell you how special this is,” Johnson said. “Just the amount of energy. The feeling of watching this come to life at the moment you unlock the gates.”
The school was designed with students in mind, but it is certainly great for the teachers as well.
“Classrooms are larger than the old school,” Johnson stated. “Everybody is walking a little prouder with the feeling of creating a fresh new space for students to learn.”
And she said while the old school didn’t have windows, the new Lookout does, which will help with the school day atmosphere.
Johnson is proud of everything about this new school right down to the design which is like an open end of a horseshoe to the east which frames Lookout Mountain.
And something the students won’t see, the school sits atop the largest geothermal site in Arizona.
“They’re about 300 feet deep and pull groundwater at a temperature of 78-85 degrees,” Johnson said. “That will cool our educational building and gym.”
That will save the district a lot of money on energy costs in the future.
The renovation was funded by a $15 million bond override that voters in the Washington Elementary School District approved.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food