PHOENIX (AP) – A family is back in Arizona after their attempt to relocate to a tiny island left them lost at sea for weeks.
Sean Gastonguay told KTVK-TV (
http://bit.ly/16hKIfb) that his family’s boat is gone _ presumably at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
He said he now has to find work to repay the $10,000 that the family borrowed from the U.S. State Department to fly back from Chile.
The family moved from Ash Fork, Ariz., to San Diego last year.
They left there in May on a voyage for Kiribati (keer-ih-BAHS’) to leave behind what they consider government interference in religion.
Storms damaged their boat and left it adrift.
“The deck started separating from the hull, that was toward the end of it, the water would come in so we were constantly pumping and lots of stuff was getting damaged,” Gastonguay told KTVK.
However, Gastonguay said he believes his family was never in real danger and has been blessed with meeting many new friends.
They made it to Chile after being picked up by a fishing vessel and transferred to a cargo ship.
Gastonguay, his wife Hannah, daughters 3-year-old Ardith and newborn Rahab, and Sean’s dad, Mike, were headed to the island nation of Kiribati.
Kiribati is a group of islands just off the Equator and the international date line about halfway between Hawaii and Australia. The population is just over 100,000 people of primarily Micronesian descent.
“They say it’s the least developed island so I figured undeveloped, less corruption,” explained Gastonguay.
He said he hopes his family can take another adventure once his daughters are older.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas