CHANDLER — Chandler is now home to Arizona’s first acrobatic gymnastics team.
The sport, described as a cross between gymnastics and Cirque du Soleil, includes acrobatic moves like balance holds and pyramids, along with gymnastics elements like tumbling. Routines are set to music with unique choreography and synchronization among partners.
“It’s a team sport, but also an individual sport,” said Kyla Knights, director of acrobatic gymnastics at Aspire Kids Sports Center, which will house the new team. “It really helps develop those great teamwork qualities in younger youth.”
Aspire Kids Sports Center is holding a clinic this weekend to introduce the sport to the public.
“It’s pretty much showing everyone in Arizona what the sport is all about and giving athletes and coaches of other gyms the opportunity to take a look and see it hands-on,” Knights said.
The sessions will be held on Saturday from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. For more information visit the Aspire Kids Sports Center website.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night