CHANDLER — Chandler is now home to Arizona’s first acrobatic gymnastics team.
The sport, described as a cross between gymnastics and Cirque du Soleil, includes acrobatic moves like balance holds and pyramids, along with gymnastics elements like tumbling. Routines are set to music with unique choreography and synchronization among partners.
“It’s a team sport, but also an individual sport,” said Kyla Knights, director of acrobatic gymnastics at Aspire Kids Sports Center, which will house the new team. “It really helps develop those great teamwork qualities in younger youth.”
Aspire Kids Sports Center is holding a clinic this weekend to introduce the sport to the public.
“It’s pretty much showing everyone in Arizona what the sport is all about and giving athletes and coaches of other gyms the opportunity to take a look and see it hands-on,” Knights said.
The sessions will be held on Saturday from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. For more information visit the Aspire Kids Sports Center website.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas