PHOENIX — Phoenix police released a composite sketch Friday of a man suspected of gunning down a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer.
Jorge Vargas, 27, was shot and killed in his driveway near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye about 4 a.m. Thursday.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said someone was spotted running from the scene around the same time when neighbors heard shots. Neighbors called 911 after hearing gunfire.
The possible suspect is described as being a Hispanic male in his 20s. He stands about 5-foot-8 and weighs about 155 lbs. He has black hair. He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and black shorts.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Vargas worked for the Sheriff’s Office Custody Support Bureau in the jail’s food factory, but he often came into contact with inmates.
Vargas leaves behind a wife and a 5-year-old child.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick