PHOENIX — Phoenix police released a composite sketch Friday of a man suspected of gunning down a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer.
Jorge Vargas, 27, was shot and killed in his driveway near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye about 4 a.m. Thursday.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said someone was spotted running from the scene around the same time when neighbors heard shots. Neighbors called 911 after hearing gunfire.
The possible suspect is described as being a Hispanic male in his 20s. He stands about 5-foot-8 and weighs about 155 lbs. He has black hair. He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and black shorts.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Vargas worked for the Sheriff’s Office Custody Support Bureau in the jail’s food factory, but he often came into contact with inmates.
Vargas leaves behind a wife and a 5-year-old child.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night