PHOENIX — Phoenix police released a composite sketch Friday of a man suspected of gunning down a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer.
Jorge Vargas, 27, was shot and killed in his driveway near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye about 4 a.m. Thursday.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said someone was spotted running from the scene around the same time when neighbors heard shots. Neighbors called 911 after hearing gunfire.
The possible suspect is described as being a Hispanic male in his 20s. He stands about 5-foot-8 and weighs about 155 lbs. He has black hair. He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and black shorts.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Vargas worked for the Sheriff’s Office Custody Support Bureau in the jail’s food factory, but he often came into contact with inmates.
Vargas leaves behind a wife and a 5-year-old child.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development