PHOENIX — One of the Valley’s all-time most popular local television characters has been revived.
Gerald was the spoiled rich brat who antagonized audiences on the “Wallace and Ladmo” show for over 30 years.
He was played by KTAR’s Pat McMahon, who has brought Gerald back to life for a new video by a group called Expect More Arizona, which is trying to improve education in the state.
In the video, Gerald explained that he “went to an Ivy League preschool, where I learned calculus, world geography, lordshipping, and how to oppress the masses for fun and profit.”
Gerald doesn’t want Arizona’s education system to change. “Let’s face it, your kid will never amount to anything,” the character said in the video. “So what’s all the fuss about?”
“The fuss,” said Expect More Arizona CEO Pearl Chang Esau, is that Arizona’s education system must improve, and it’s got a long way to go.
“Half of Arizona’s high school graduates don’t qualify to enroll directly into any of our three state universities,” Esau said. “Sixty percent of them have to remediate when they’re in the community college. We know that’s just not good enough. We have to help all of our students reach their potential. We owe that to them.”
The group’s idea is to use the videos featuring Gerald to encourage people to get more involved in making Arizona schools better. And it’s offering an incentive to get people online to watch the videos.
“The show and Gerald have issued us five Ladmo Bags to give away,” said Esau. “If people go on our website, watch the video, write a message to Gerald, and give us their e-mail address, we will enter them into a raffle to receive one Ladmo Bag.”
Beginning Aug. 16, the group will give away one Ladmo Bag every Friday for five weeks. The group will announce more details on the Ladmo bag drawing Aug. 12.
As of Friday morning, the website does have an area for messages to Gerald, but makes no mention of the Ladmo Bag giveaway.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy