PHOENIX — More than 50 people have been sickened by an E. coli outbreak linked to a Valley eatery, Maricopa County health officials said.
CORRECTION: #EColi Outbreak Update – Latest numbers: 52 people sick and of those 18 have been or are hospitalized.
— Public Health (@Maricopahealth) August 8, 2013
The people were infected with E. coli at Federico’s, located at 13132 W Camelback Rd.
“Just to be clear, it is only this one Federico’s establishment where many of the cases have reported eating or purchasing food,” said Dr. Bob England, director of Maricopa County Department of Public Health. “The investigation remains ongoing and we have all hands on deck to figure out the specific source.”
Upon being informed, the restaurant voluntarily closed down, threw away all of its food and began working with officials to determine the source of the bacteria.
The first lawsuit over the outbreak has already been filed.
The restaurant passed a recent health inspection.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night