PHOENIX — More than 50 people have been sickened by an E. coli outbreak linked to a Valley eatery, Maricopa County health officials said.
CORRECTION: #EColi Outbreak Update – Latest numbers: 52 people sick and of those 18 have been or are hospitalized.
— Public Health (@Maricopahealth) August 8, 2013
The people were infected with E. coli at Federico’s, located at 13132 W Camelback Rd.
“Just to be clear, it is only this one Federico’s establishment where many of the cases have reported eating or purchasing food,” said Dr. Bob England, director of Maricopa County Department of Public Health. “The investigation remains ongoing and we have all hands on deck to figure out the specific source.”
Upon being informed, the restaurant voluntarily closed down, threw away all of its food and began working with officials to determine the source of the bacteria.
The first lawsuit over the outbreak has already been filed.
The restaurant passed a recent health inspection.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy