PHOENIX — More than 50 people have been sickened by an E. coli outbreak linked to a Valley eatery, Maricopa County health officials said.
CORRECTION: #EColi Outbreak Update – Latest numbers: 52 people sick and of those 18 have been or are hospitalized.
— Public Health (@Maricopahealth) August 8, 2013
The people were infected with E. coli at Federico’s, located at 13132 W Camelback Rd.
“Just to be clear, it is only this one Federico’s establishment where many of the cases have reported eating or purchasing food,” said Dr. Bob England, director of Maricopa County Department of Public Health. “The investigation remains ongoing and we have all hands on deck to figure out the specific source.”
Upon being informed, the restaurant voluntarily closed down, threw away all of its food and began working with officials to determine the source of the bacteria.
The first lawsuit over the outbreak has already been filed.
The restaurant passed a recent health inspection.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development