PHOENIX — College students will be taking everything they own to school in the next few days and criminals will be looking to take everything those students own.
It’s not uncommon for students to have $10,000 worth of property or more in the dorm room or new apartment — a goldmine for thieves.
John Kennedy with Allstate in Mesa said about seven of every ten claims he sees from college students involve theft and suggests students buy renter’s insurance. It offers protection and won’t break the bank.
“I think sometimes students overlook just how expensive their stuff is. The students bring a lot of big ticket items with them: Smartphones, laptops, bikes, backpacks, furniture, just to name a few items. Renters insurance runs about $15 per month and will cover $15,000 to 20,000 of their property.”
Kennedy said bundling insurance with a car policy will drop the renters insurance cost to next to nothing. Another reason for students to have renters insurance is it would give them living expenses in case of a fire or vandalism at their apartment and it’s unlivable.
Kennedy said students under 26 living on campus may be covered under their parents’ homeowners policy but they will need to make sure to check with the agent.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier