PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office identified a detention officer who was shot and killed at his home on Tolleson on Thursday.
Jorge Vargas was 27 when he was killed near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said someone was spotted running from the scene around the same time when
neighbors heard shots. The eight-year sheriff’s office veteran was shot while standing in his driveway. Neighbors called 911 after hearing gunfire.
The officer died in a local hospital.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Vargas worked for the
Sheriff’s Office Custody Support Bureau in the jail’s food factory, but he often
came into contact with inmates.
He wouldn’t speculate about whether Vargas’ killing may have been related to
his work, but said his office was assisting Phoenix police in the investigation,
including gathering intelligence from the jails
“It’s really going to affect the family he has in the sheriff’s office as well as in law enforcement, but that’s not going to stop us from trying to find this person and prosecute this person to the full extent (of the law),” said MCSO Sgt. Brandon Jones.
Vargas leaves behind a wife and a 5-year-old child.
Part of the area was temporarily blocked off to conduct the search for the shooter.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night