PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office identified a detention officer who was shot and killed at his home on Tolleson on Thursday.
Jorge Vargas was 27 when he was killed near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said someone was spotted running from the scene around the same time when
neighbors heard shots. The eight-year sheriff’s office veteran was shot while standing in his driveway. Neighbors called 911 after hearing gunfire.
The officer died in a local hospital.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Vargas worked for the
Sheriff’s Office Custody Support Bureau in the jail’s food factory, but he often
came into contact with inmates.
He wouldn’t speculate about whether Vargas’ killing may have been related to
his work, but said his office was assisting Phoenix police in the investigation,
including gathering intelligence from the jails
“It’s really going to affect the family he has in the sheriff’s office as well as in law enforcement, but that’s not going to stop us from trying to find this person and prosecute this person to the full extent (of the law),” said MCSO Sgt. Brandon Jones.
Vargas leaves behind a wife and a 5-year-old child.
Part of the area was temporarily blocked off to conduct the search for the shooter.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development