PHOENIX — A Tempe business owner relished the idea of partnering with the United States Postal Service and his dream has come true.
Gil Schmidt’s urban market, Thirsty Dog 2 Go, has become a designated Village Post Office, a place where customers can fill their basic postal service needs.
“They came to me and asked me if I wanted to be a village post office and I said yes,” he said. “We’re open earlier than they are, we’re open on the weekends and until two in the morning. If the post office is closed, [customers] can come here which will increase my foot traffic by at least 15 percent.”
USPS started opening village post offices in libraries, convenience stores and other local business around the country, typically in rural areas, in 2011. Because Tempe is becoming more of a 24-hour community, officials determined it would be a perfect fit in the growing college city.
There are 330 village post offices in the U.S. The one at Thirsty Dog 2 Go is Arizona’s first.
The USPS is interested in partnering with more local businesses. To learn more, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.