PHOENIX — A Tempe business owner relished the idea of partnering with the United States Postal Service and his dream has come true.
Gil Schmidt’s urban market, Thirsty Dog 2 Go, has become a designated Village Post Office, a place where customers can fill their basic postal service needs.
“They came to me and asked me if I wanted to be a village post office and I said yes,” he said. “We’re open earlier than they are, we’re open on the weekends and until two in the morning. If the post office is closed, [customers] can come here which will increase my foot traffic by at least 15 percent.”
USPS started opening village post offices in libraries, convenience stores and other local business around the country, typically in rural areas, in 2011. Because Tempe is becoming more of a 24-hour community, officials determined it would be a perfect fit in the growing college city.
There are 330 village post offices in the U.S. The one at Thirsty Dog 2 Go is Arizona’s first.
The USPS is interested in partnering with more local businesses. To learn more, click here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development