PHOENIX — The elusive Coin Machine Bandit, accused of stealing 27 coin dispensers, has been arrested by Phoenix police.
Bryan Simon, 31, is accused of entering Circle K stores across the city with the intention of stealing change dispensers.
“From July 2012 through November 2012, he did 12 of these robberies, and then took about a five- to six-month hiatus,” said Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes.
Simon’s alleged crime spree resumed in July of this year.
“He did another total of 15 of these coin thefts,” Holmes added.
Simon was arrested July 30. He admitted to being involved and said he used the money to support his drug habit. Police estimate he stole about $17,000.
This arrest is part of an on-going crack down dubbed “Operation Beer Garden.” Detectives from the Phoenix Police Business and Economic Stability Team are attempting to track down at least 60 suspects who routinely rob convenience stores.
Last week, they announced the capture of the Jordan Newman, who was termed by police as the “Candy Man.” He is being accused of shoplifting nearly $3,000 worth of candy and selling it on the street to pay for a drug habit.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night