PHOENIX — The elusive Coin Machine Bandit, accused of stealing 27 coin dispensers, has been arrested by Phoenix police.
Bryan Simon, 31, is accused of entering Circle K stores across the city with the intention of stealing change dispensers.
“From July 2012 through November 2012, he did 12 of these robberies, and then took about a five- to six-month hiatus,” said Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes.
Simon’s alleged crime spree resumed in July of this year.
“He did another total of 15 of these coin thefts,” Holmes added.
Simon was arrested July 30. He admitted to being involved and said he used the money to support his drug habit. Police estimate he stole about $17,000.
This arrest is part of an on-going crack down dubbed “Operation Beer Garden.” Detectives from the Phoenix Police Business and Economic Stability Team are attempting to track down at least 60 suspects who routinely rob convenience stores.
Last week, they announced the capture of the Jordan Newman, who was termed by police as the “Candy Man.” He is being accused of shoplifting nearly $3,000 worth of candy and selling it on the street to pay for a drug habit.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier