PHOENIX — The elusive Coin Machine Bandit, accused of stealing 27 coin dispensers, has been arrested by Phoenix police.
Bryan Simon, 31, is accused of entering Circle K stores across the city with the intention of stealing change dispensers.
“From July 2012 through November 2012, he did 12 of these robberies, and then took about a five- to six-month hiatus,” said Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes.
Simon’s alleged crime spree resumed in July of this year.
“He did another total of 15 of these coin thefts,” Holmes added.
Simon was arrested July 30. He admitted to being involved and said he used the money to support his drug habit. Police estimate he stole about $17,000.
This arrest is part of an on-going crack down dubbed “Operation Beer Garden.” Detectives from the Phoenix Police Business and Economic Stability Team are attempting to track down at least 60 suspects who routinely rob convenience stores.
Last week, they announced the capture of the Jordan Newman, who was termed by police as the “Candy Man.” He is being accused of shoplifting nearly $3,000 worth of candy and selling it on the street to pay for a drug habit.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments