PHOENIX — President Barack Obama met with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer Tuesday to discuss federal aid for those affected by the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) August 6, 2013
Brewer asked Obama to declare an emergency situation in June, after the fire claimed the lives of 19 hotshots and destroyed about 20 percent of homes in Yarnell, Ariz.
Andrew Wilder, the governor’s spokesman, said Brewer pressed the president on
her disaster declaration request for the Yarnell Hill fire near Prescott.
Nineteen firefighters died battling the blaze on June 30, and Brewer has been
waiting for a response from Obama to her request since mid-July.
“She reminded him that it’s been nearly a month. He assured her that he would
look into it,” Wilder told The Arizona Republic.
Approval would bring long-term federal recovery programs to Yavapai County to
help survivors and businesses that didn’t have adequate insurance. It also would
allow a federal team to do flood prevention work.
Wilder added that Brewer described her meeting Tuesday with Obama as “cordial
and positive all around.”
Obama was in Phoenix to discuss the nation’s housing situation.
He proposed to overhaul the nation’s mortgage finance system, including shutting down government-backed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac- a plan with bipartisan support on Capitol Hill.
Obama also insisted that popular 30-year mortgages be widely available to borrowers, even in a system that would rely more on the private sector than the government to guarantee loans.
This contrasts the last time when Obama was in Phoenix in 2012, when he and Brewer were involved in a tense conversation that included the infamous “finger-pointing” incident.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier