PHOENIX — President Barack Obama met with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer Tuesday to discuss federal aid for those affected by the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) August 6, 2013
Brewer asked Obama to declare an emergency situation in June, after the fire claimed the lives of 19 hotshots and destroyed about 20 percent of homes in Yarnell, Ariz.
Andrew Wilder, the governor’s spokesman, said Brewer pressed the president on
her disaster declaration request for the Yarnell Hill fire near Prescott.
Nineteen firefighters died battling the blaze on June 30, and Brewer has been
waiting for a response from Obama to her request since mid-July.
“She reminded him that it’s been nearly a month. He assured her that he would
look into it,” Wilder told The Arizona Republic.
Approval would bring long-term federal recovery programs to Yavapai County to
help survivors and businesses that didn’t have adequate insurance. It also would
allow a federal team to do flood prevention work.
Wilder added that Brewer described her meeting Tuesday with Obama as “cordial
and positive all around.”
Obama was in Phoenix to discuss the nation’s housing situation.
He proposed to overhaul the nation’s mortgage finance system, including shutting down government-backed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac- a plan with bipartisan support on Capitol Hill.
Obama also insisted that popular 30-year mortgages be widely available to borrowers, even in a system that would rely more on the private sector than the government to guarantee loans.
This contrasts the last time when Obama was in Phoenix in 2012, when he and Brewer were involved in a tense conversation that included the infamous “finger-pointing” incident.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick