The driver who was in a Monday morning collision in west Phoenix that killed three children has also died, according to Phoenix police.
Matthew Dejarnett was driving eastbound on Southern Avenue near 59th Avenue when he was hit by a 16-year-old driver of a Dodge Caravan heading west and carrying six other children. The minivan rolled over after hitting Dejarnett’s vehicle and some of the children were ejected from the Caravan. One of the children died at the scene, and two were later pronounced dead at a Valley hospital. Dejarnett became the fourth to die in the accident, as he was pronounced dead at a hospital Monday evening.
The driver of the minivan and one other child have incapacitating injuries and another child, a 3-year-old female, remains in critical condition, according to Sgt. Trent Crump.
Crump said Dejarnett was alone in his vehicle and properly restrained. His airbags deployed, but they were not enough to ultimately save his life.
None of the occupants in the minivan were restrained properly, Crump said.
Witnesses said the driver of the minivan was going at a high rate of speed when he made an unsafe passing movement to the right of other traffic where the street narrowed to a single lane. The driver appeared to have over corrected in getting back onto the road and he lost control of the vehicle, Crump said.
Detectives evaluated the 16-year-old driver and said he showed signs of impairment. The driver is unlicensed, but was carrying a driver’s permit.
Crump said the investigation is ongoing.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon