The driver who was in a Monday morning collision in west Phoenix that killed three children has also died, according to Phoenix police.
Matthew Dejarnett was driving eastbound on Southern Avenue near 59th Avenue when he was hit by a 16-year-old driver of a Dodge Caravan heading west and carrying six other children. The minivan rolled over after hitting Dejarnett’s vehicle and some of the children were ejected from the Caravan. One of the children died at the scene, and two were later pronounced dead at a Valley hospital. Dejarnett became the fourth to die in the accident, as he was pronounced dead at a hospital Monday evening.
The driver of the minivan and one other child have incapacitating injuries and another child, a 3-year-old female, remains in critical condition, according to Sgt. Trent Crump.
Crump said Dejarnett was alone in his vehicle and properly restrained. His airbags deployed, but they were not enough to ultimately save his life.
None of the occupants in the minivan were restrained properly, Crump said.
Witnesses said the driver of the minivan was going at a high rate of speed when he made an unsafe passing movement to the right of other traffic where the street narrowed to a single lane. The driver appeared to have over corrected in getting back onto the road and he lost control of the vehicle, Crump said.
Detectives evaluated the 16-year-old driver and said he showed signs of impairment. The driver is unlicensed, but was carrying a driver’s permit.
Crump said the investigation is ongoing.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier