PHOENIX — The school colors are midnight blue and Vegas gold, but Tuesday, Desert Vista High School is rolling out the red carpet.
With a scheduled visit from President Barack Obama in the afternoon, school officials said it has been a whirlwind of activity on the Ahwatukee campus prepping for his appearance.
Principal Anna Battle said she got the call Thursday night but didn’t believe it.
“I thought it was hoax at first. I called the superintendent with Tempe Union High School District and he assured me it wasn’t a hoax.”
Battle’s weekend plans turned into preparing for the presidential visit but she had help from parents and staff. She said about 800 in the senior class will be able to attend the president’s speech along with selected teachers.
“We’ll have three students who are seniors singing the national anthem. A senior will do the Pledge (of Allegiance). Our student body president will be part of the greeting crew.”
The rest of the student body will be in class during the visit.
The president is expected to speak around 1 o’clock.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments