PHOENIX — The school colors are midnight blue and Vegas gold, but Tuesday, Desert Vista High School is rolling out the red carpet.
With a scheduled visit from President Barack Obama in the afternoon, school officials said it has been a whirlwind of activity on the Ahwatukee campus prepping for his appearance.
Principal Anna Battle said she got the call Thursday night but didn’t believe it.
“I thought it was hoax at first. I called the superintendent with Tempe Union High School District and he assured me it wasn’t a hoax.”
Battle’s weekend plans turned into preparing for the presidential visit but she had help from parents and staff. She said about 800 in the senior class will be able to attend the president’s speech along with selected teachers.
“We’ll have three students who are seniors singing the national anthem. A senior will do the Pledge (of Allegiance). Our student body president will be part of the greeting crew.”
The rest of the student body will be in class during the visit.
The president is expected to speak around 1 o’clock.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon