In our society, it seems like individuals of all ages, even young children, are glued to electronics. Between playing video games, surfing the Internet, watching TV and more, it is no wonder why obesity rates are on the rise. August 4 marks the beginning of Exercise With Your Kids Week. This week is designed to help you get up, get active and add regular exercise to your and your children's lives.
There are multiple activities you can do with your children to get moving and start burning some calories. Below are six ways you can break your children away from their electronic gadgets and get them physically active.
Go to the park
The park is the ultimate play place. There is enough room for children to run around and the playground equipment adds variety. You can let your children enjoy the monkey bars, swing on the swings, play tag and more. And they will be having so much fun, they won’t even realize they are exercising. And while at the park, don’t forget about your fitness levels. Play tag with your children or push them on the swings. Don’t just sit around. Get up and have some fun with your kids.
Teach them a new skill
Spend time teaching your child a new skill. Teach them how to ride a bike or rollerblade. You could even spend time learning how to jump rope or play hopscotch. Find an activity your child would enjoy and that is appropriate for his or her age level. Something new may also captivate their attention and help keep them away from the computer or TV screens longer.
Enjoy a workout video
Most kids want to be just like their parents and do everything they do. Put on a workout video and let your children join you. They will have fun spending time with you and you will all enjoy a good workout.
Give them chores
When performing housework, you are burning more calories than you may realize. The scrubbing and vacuuming are excellent calories burners and you’ll be moving all over the home. Every morning, give your children a few chores to complete. Whether you have them sweep the floor, dust the coffee table, wash the windows or even do the dishes, they will be up and moving. Plus, you can enjoy the benefits of a clean house.
Swimming is an excellent way to stay active and most children love to play in the water. Teach them proper swim strokes or let them practice kicking. You can go to a shallow pool and let them run in the water. Swimming is the perfect activity to get your children excited and active. Plus, they will burn up some of their stored-up energy.
Visit a museum or other attraction
Visiting a museum or other local attraction is an excellent way to get up and walk around, plus it is educational. Your children will learn while staying active. What could be better than that?
Exercising with your children really doesn’t have to be a planned event. There are things you can do every day to have fun with your children, teach them and get them moving. Plus, there is no need to sit around and stare at screens all day. Spend time together, make memories and get healthy.
Do you want to celebrate other unique holidays? Like our Facebook page for ideas, activities and more.
Courtnie Erickson is a Utah State University graduate and a technology guru.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night