AMSTERDAM (AP) – European authorities have cleared US Airways Group Inc.’s proposed merger with American Airlines’ parent company, AMR Corp. _ on the condition that they give up one slot at London’s Heathrow airport and take steps to foster competition on the London-Philadelphia route.
The merger and restructuring plan, which would create the world’s biggest airline, must still be approved by a U.S. federal judge before AMR can emerge from bankruptcy, with a hearing expected Aug. 15.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Justice is still reviewing the deal amid complaints that it could lead to reduced competition and higher fares in the U.S.
Joaquin Almunia, the top competition official at the European Commission, the EU’s executive branch, said in a statement that the Philadelphia route would have been monopolized without concessions agreed to provisionally by the two airlines.
“On all other transatlantic routes affected by the merger the combined entity will continue to face competition from other strong competitors,” including groups led by Delta, United, and Virgin, he said.
European approval for the deal has long been expected, but in the U.S. the situation may be more complicated, despite approval for the deal last week by US Airways shareholders.
In addition to the Justice Department, a number of states have asked for insight into the deal’s details, presumably to ensure that hubs and routes touching their regional interests are being preserved.
The companies have said they expect to close the deal by the end of September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl