AMSTERDAM (AP) – European authorities have cleared US Airways Group Inc.’s proposed merger with American Airlines’ parent company, AMR Corp. _ on the condition that they give up one slot at London’s Heathrow airport and take steps to foster competition on the London-Philadelphia route.
The merger and restructuring plan, which would create the world’s biggest airline, must still be approved by a U.S. federal judge before AMR can emerge from bankruptcy, with a hearing expected Aug. 15.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Justice is still reviewing the deal amid complaints that it could lead to reduced competition and higher fares in the U.S.
Joaquin Almunia, the top competition official at the European Commission, the EU’s executive branch, said in a statement that the Philadelphia route would have been monopolized without concessions agreed to provisionally by the two airlines.
“On all other transatlantic routes affected by the merger the combined entity will continue to face competition from other strong competitors,” including groups led by Delta, United, and Virgin, he said.
European approval for the deal has long been expected, but in the U.S. the situation may be more complicated, despite approval for the deal last week by US Airways shareholders.
In addition to the Justice Department, a number of states have asked for insight into the deal’s details, presumably to ensure that hubs and routes touching their regional interests are being preserved.
The companies have said they expect to close the deal by the end of September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development