PHOENIX — Three children died and several others were seriously injured Monday morning in a head-on collision near 59th and Southern avenues.
Phoenix authorities said the fatalities were young kids, who were riding in a minivan, driven by their 16-year-old sibling. The family was on the way to school. Three other siblings were also in the vehicle.
All are in the hospital. One is in critical condition, as is the adult male driver of the other car.
The minivan rolled over after impact with the car and some of the children were ejected from the van. The driver of the car was alone.
“There was a child safety seat that was found in the minivan; however, it doesn’t appear that it was properly installed. It appears at this point that no one was restrained in the vehicle,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
The driver of the minivan appeared to be unlicensed, but did have some sort of learner’s permit, according to Phoenix police.
“We haven’t determined what caused (loss of control by the teen driver) at this point,” Sgt. Crump said.
“Whether it was speed, whether it was a dip, whether it was going off the roadway, whether it was vehicle malfunction at some point. We don’t know.”
Southern Avenue was closed between 55th and 59th avenues throughout the morning.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them