PHOENIX — Three children died and several others were seriously injured Monday morning in a head-on collision near 59th and Southern avenues.
Phoenix authorities said the fatalities were young kids, who were riding in a minivan, driven by their 16-year-old sibling. The family was on the way to school. Three other siblings were also in the vehicle.
All are in the hospital. One is in critical condition, as is the adult male driver of the other car.
The minivan rolled over after impact with the car and some of the children were ejected from the van. The driver of the car was alone.
“There was a child safety seat that was found in the minivan; however, it doesn’t appear that it was properly installed. It appears at this point that no one was restrained in the vehicle,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
The driver of the minivan appeared to be unlicensed, but did have some sort of learner’s permit, according to Phoenix police.
“We haven’t determined what caused (loss of control by the teen driver) at this point,” Sgt. Crump said.
“Whether it was speed, whether it was a dip, whether it was going off the roadway, whether it was vehicle malfunction at some point. We don’t know.”
Southern Avenue was closed between 55th and 59th avenues throughout the morning.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas