PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation said it could be two years before repairs can be completed to U.S. 89 south of Page.
In the meanwhile,
Lynette Davault with the Page Chamber of Commerce said the area’s economy has taken a hit. Labor Day weekend, which typically does big business, is on the way. This year that’s an unknown.
ADOT said work is progressing on a shorter detour route that should be open by the end of the month.
A section of U.S. 89 near Page in northern Arizona buckled in February. A Navajo Nation tribal road that runs parallel to the highway is being paved and when it opens it will eliminate the current 115-mile detour.
“A lot of people are finding alternate routes and bypassing us a bit. Most businesses are seeing declines. We’re hanging in there,” Davault said.
She said some Page businesses have had a 20 percent drop in sales.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night