East Valley public transportation will resume Monday, after a tentative agreement was reached between Valley Metro’s East Valley bus operator, First Transit, and the bus operators’ union, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1433.
“We’re going to be back in business tomorrow and back at work like we normally would be,” Valley Metro communication manager Susan Tierney said. “I’m hopeful that everybody is very happy with deal.”
The three-year tentative agreement between the union and First Transit came after 32 hours of negotiations and a four-day strike by more than 500 bus operators. ATU 1433 President Bob Bean said Sunday that the deal must be ratified by the union within the next week and a half.
An estimated 57,000 riders were affected by the strike beginning last Thursday and more than 40 bus routes in the East Valley were shut down.
“We understand why they [passengers] would be frustrated,” Tierney said. “At this point, it’s great to have service. We definitely know that our passengers need to use transit, especially if they don’t have any other options to travel.”
Tierney said every route impacted by the strike will be back in operation Monday morning.
“More than anything, Valley Metro is very happy for our passengers. We can say service begins again tomorrow: Monday morning, first thing, fresh start. We are very happy to be back in our business of moving people here in the Valley”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food