East Valley public transportation will resume Monday, after a tentative agreement was reached between Valley Metro’s East Valley bus operator, First Transit, and the bus operators’ union, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1433.
“We’re going to be back in business tomorrow and back at work like we normally would be,” Valley Metro communication manager Susan Tierney said. “I’m hopeful that everybody is very happy with deal.”
The three-year tentative agreement between the union and First Transit came after 32 hours of negotiations and a four-day strike by more than 500 bus operators. ATU 1433 President Bob Bean said Sunday that the deal must be ratified by the union within the next week and a half.
An estimated 57,000 riders were affected by the strike beginning last Thursday and more than 40 bus routes in the East Valley were shut down.
“We understand why they [passengers] would be frustrated,” Tierney said. “At this point, it’s great to have service. We definitely know that our passengers need to use transit, especially if they don’t have any other options to travel.”
Tierney said every route impacted by the strike will be back in operation Monday morning.
“More than anything, Valley Metro is very happy for our passengers. We can say service begins again tomorrow: Monday morning, first thing, fresh start. We are very happy to be back in our business of moving people here in the Valley”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development