Mesa police shot and killed a 49-year-old man in a wheelchair on Sunday morning, according to Sgt. Tony Landato.
The suspect, who has not yet been identified, had a felony warrant out for his arrest because of drug-related offenses. He handed over multiple knives that were in his possession prior to the shooting. Landato said the department has had multiple run-ins with the suspect before Sunday’s incident.
The sergeant said the officer who discharged his firearm did so in response to the suspect’s ill-advised reach for what police found to be a concealed handgun. The suspect died on the scene.
The incident occurred around 9:30 a.m. Sunday near Main Street and Williams Road. Three officers were present at the time of the incident, according to Mesa Police. None were injured during the altercation.
Expect delays in the area during the next few hours while detectives inspect the scene.
Landato said the victim’s name won’t be released until Monday or Tuesday, after his next of kin have been notified.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon