Mesa police shot and killed a 49-year-old man in a wheelchair on Sunday morning, according to Sgt. Tony Landato.
The suspect, who has not yet been identified, had a felony warrant out for his arrest because of drug-related offenses. He handed over multiple knives that were in his possession prior to the shooting. Landato said the department has had multiple run-ins with the suspect before Sunday’s incident.
The sergeant said the officer who discharged his firearm did so in response to the suspect’s ill-advised reach for what police found to be a concealed handgun. The suspect died on the scene.
The incident occurred around 9:30 a.m. Sunday near Main Street and Williams Road. Three officers were present at the time of the incident, according to Mesa Police. None were injured during the altercation.
Expect delays in the area during the next few hours while detectives inspect the scene.
Landato said the victim’s name won’t be released until Monday or Tuesday, after his next of kin have been notified.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments