GLENDALE, Ariz. — University of Phoenix stadium is ready for a different kind of football.
The stadium will host a soccer game Thursday between the Los Angeles Galaxy and Real Madrid. The rest of the world calls the sport ‘football,’ or something similar.
Workers spent Wednesday night getting the field ready.
Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Stadium Operations John Drum said changing the field from football to soccer is easy.
“Basically, we just paint over the white football lines with a color that matches the turf. Then we go ahead and paint the white soccer lines on the field,” said Drum. “Basically, you minimize one and emphasize the other.”
The field is on a movable tray that allows the grass to be out in the sun during the day, then moved into the stadium for the game. Moving the field takes about 90 minutes.
“The field tray came inside the building, and workers were getting the facility ready for the game this evening,” said Drum. “They were setting field boards and any additional technology and seating that’s needed for the soccer game. We’ll open the doors at 6 p.m. tonight for the soccer game.”
After the game, the field will be moved back outside. The football field will be repainted and moved back into the stadium in time for Cardinals’ practice Friday.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again