GLENDALE, Ariz. — University of Phoenix stadium is ready for a different kind of football.
The stadium will host a soccer game Thursday between the Los Angeles Galaxy and Real Madrid. The rest of the world calls the sport ‘football,’ or something similar.
Workers spent Wednesday night getting the field ready.
Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Stadium Operations John Drum said changing the field from football to soccer is easy.
“Basically, we just paint over the white football lines with a color that matches the turf. Then we go ahead and paint the white soccer lines on the field,” said Drum. “Basically, you minimize one and emphasize the other.”
The field is on a movable tray that allows the grass to be out in the sun during the day, then moved into the stadium for the game. Moving the field takes about 90 minutes.
“The field tray came inside the building, and workers were getting the facility ready for the game this evening,” said Drum. “They were setting field boards and any additional technology and seating that’s needed for the soccer game. We’ll open the doors at 6 p.m. tonight for the soccer game.”
After the game, the field will be moved back outside. The football field will be repainted and moved back into the stadium in time for Cardinals’ practice Friday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night