PHOENIX — A deal that gives college students and parents lower interest rates on loans is heading for the desk of President Barack Obama for approval and a different president wants that bill to be signed.
“I don’t think members of Congress realize that the rest of the world is evolving,” said Arizona State University President Michael Crow. “We need things resolved quickly. Student loans are an important investment for kids to have a chance. Those who need the help should get the help. It’s important to have those interest rates as low as possible.”
Crow also said that the lack of urgency in Congress is affecting the decisions of both students and their families.
The bipartisan compromise links student loan interest rates to the financial markets. Undergrads would borrow at 3.9 percent this fall. Graduate students would have access to loans at 5.4 percent and parents would be at a borrowing rate of 6.4 percent.
The White House said Congressional approval of the new loan structure would save the average undergrad at $1,500 dollars in interest charges.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development