PHOENIX — A deal that gives college students and parents lower interest rates on loans is heading for the desk of President Barack Obama for approval and a different president wants that bill to be signed.
“I don’t think members of Congress realize that the rest of the world is evolving,” said Arizona State University President Michael Crow. “We need things resolved quickly. Student loans are an important investment for kids to have a chance. Those who need the help should get the help. It’s important to have those interest rates as low as possible.”
Crow also said that the lack of urgency in Congress is affecting the decisions of both students and their families.
The bipartisan compromise links student loan interest rates to the financial markets. Undergrads would borrow at 3.9 percent this fall. Graduate students would have access to loans at 5.4 percent and parents would be at a borrowing rate of 6.4 percent.
The White House said Congressional approval of the new loan structure would save the average undergrad at $1,500 dollars in interest charges.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food