PHOENIX — A deal that gives college students and parents lower interest rates on loans is heading for the desk of President Barack Obama for approval and a different president wants that bill to be signed.
“I don’t think members of Congress realize that the rest of the world is evolving,” said Arizona State University President Michael Crow. “We need things resolved quickly. Student loans are an important investment for kids to have a chance. Those who need the help should get the help. It’s important to have those interest rates as low as possible.”
Crow also said that the lack of urgency in Congress is affecting the decisions of both students and their families.
The bipartisan compromise links student loan interest rates to the financial markets. Undergrads would borrow at 3.9 percent this fall. Graduate students would have access to loans at 5.4 percent and parents would be at a borrowing rate of 6.4 percent.
The White House said Congressional approval of the new loan structure would save the average undergrad at $1,500 dollars in interest charges.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.