PHOENIX — August is Drowning Impact Awareness Month in Arizona.
To mark the beginning of the event, people placed ribbons on trees Wednesday at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“The 2,000 ribbons that are attached to the trees out here in the courtyard each represent a child who has been involved in a drowning incident since the year 2000,” said Debra Stevens, marketing manager for the hospital.
One of those children is 8-year-old Santana Black of Gilbert. In 2006, a babysitter found Black in a pool after he had been underwater for 20 minutes, which resulted in brain damage. Black is now in a wheelchair and can’t speak or smile.
His mother, Linda Black, said people think that since he survived, everything is OK. But, she said things changed forever.
“We did lose our child,” Linda said. “He can’t walk. He can’t eat on his own. He has a tube for all of his nutrition and all of his medication. He has a seizure disorder on top of it.”
Linda said Santana’s condition affects her whole family. She said her other children are often prevented from doing activities because she has to take Santana to his doctor’s appointments, and that it can put a strain on everyone.
Still, Linda said Santana brings joy into everyone’s lives and that she wouldn’t trade him for the world.
Linda said she wants other parents to know the dangers of having their kids around water.
Drowning prevention information will be available at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, as well as all Arizona YMCAs and La-Z-Boy furniture stores as part of the month-long campaign.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy