PHOENIX — August is Drowning Impact Awareness Month in Arizona.
To mark the beginning of the event, people placed ribbons on trees Wednesday at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“The 2,000 ribbons that are attached to the trees out here in the courtyard each represent a child who has been involved in a drowning incident since the year 2000,” said Debra Stevens, marketing manager for the hospital.
One of those children is 8-year-old Santana Black of Gilbert. In 2006, a babysitter found Black in a pool after he had been underwater for 20 minutes, which resulted in brain damage. Black is now in a wheelchair and can’t speak or smile.
His mother, Linda Black, said people think that since he survived, everything is OK. But, she said things changed forever.
“We did lose our child,” Linda said. “He can’t walk. He can’t eat on his own. He has a tube for all of his nutrition and all of his medication. He has a seizure disorder on top of it.”
Linda said Santana’s condition affects her whole family. She said her other children are often prevented from doing activities because she has to take Santana to his doctor’s appointments, and that it can put a strain on everyone.
Still, Linda said Santana brings joy into everyone’s lives and that she wouldn’t trade him for the world.
Linda said she wants other parents to know the dangers of having their kids around water.
Drowning prevention information will be available at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, as well as all Arizona YMCAs and La-Z-Boy furniture stores as part of the month-long campaign.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas