PHOENIX — The State Forestry Division is receiving backlash after its deputy director commented on what led to the deaths of 19 Granite Mountain Hot Shots in the Yarnell Hill Fire.
According to Investigativemedia.com, Deputy Director Jerry Payne said the hotshot’s leader, Eric Marsh, “violated several basic wildfire rules including not knowing the location of the fire.”
At least one family of a fallen firefighter was quick to respond to the accusations, telling Channel 12, “I know I watch my husband cry every night, and I know that those boys are missed,” Shari Turbyfill told the station.
Her stepson, 27-year-old Travis Turbyfill, died fighting the wildfire. “To put it all one person’s shoulders is absolutely an outrage.”
In a statement released Tuesday, forestry officials distanced themselves from Payne’s comments.
“State Forestry apologizes for Mr. Payne’s inappropriate expression of opinion as fact and unfounded speculation that prejudges the ultimate conclusion of the investigation,” the statement said.
Spokesman Jim Paxon told KTAR that Payne’s comments are not consistent with State Forestry’s position on what led to the tragedy.
“We don’t have a position. We’re not commenting until the report comes out,” said Paxon.
There are two accident investigations into what happened on June 30. The first is expected to be released by the Serious Accident Investigation Team on Sept. 16. The other will be released by the Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration, and may not be completed for six months.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon