PHOENIX — The State Forestry Division is receiving backlash after its deputy director commented on what led to the deaths of 19 Granite Mountain Hot Shots in the Yarnell Hill Fire.
According to Investigativemedia.com, Deputy Director Jerry Payne said the hotshot’s leader, Eric Marsh, “violated several basic wildfire rules including not knowing the location of the fire.”
At least one family of a fallen firefighter was quick to respond to the accusations, telling Channel 12, “I know I watch my husband cry every night, and I know that those boys are missed,” Shari Turbyfill told the station.
Her stepson, 27-year-old Travis Turbyfill, died fighting the wildfire. “To put it all one person’s shoulders is absolutely an outrage.”
In a statement released Tuesday, forestry officials distanced themselves from Payne’s comments.
“State Forestry apologizes for Mr. Payne’s inappropriate expression of opinion as fact and unfounded speculation that prejudges the ultimate conclusion of the investigation,” the statement said.
Spokesman Jim Paxon told KTAR that Payne’s comments are not consistent with State Forestry’s position on what led to the tragedy.
“We don’t have a position. We’re not commenting until the report comes out,” said Paxon.
There are two accident investigations into what happened on June 30. The first is expected to be released by the Serious Accident Investigation Team on Sept. 16. The other will be released by the Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration, and may not be completed for six months.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths