MESA, Ariz. — Mesa’s mayor is downplaying a decision by Spirit Airlines to stop serving Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
The airline said it wants to serve primary airports and will offer daily nonstop service between Sky Harbor and Dallas/Fort Worth starting Oct. 24th. Service to Chicago O’Hare and Denver International Airport will begin Nov. 7.
Mayor Scott Smith said losing Spirit Airlines is “no big deal.”
“It’s a bump in the road,” Smith said. “While we value all of our airlines, Spirit was six to eight percent of our traffic is all.”
“Spirit was successful here,” Smith said. “They have a different business plan where they want to move to central city airports.
“Sure we’re disappointed, but it’s not going to impact our long-term plans. We’re still going to aggressively play for growth here. We think it will happen, and what other airlines do is really not that important.”
Smith thinks many Spirit Airlines passengers will switch to Allegiant Airlines and continue to fly in and out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway.
He also believes another airline will replace Spirit at the airport “sometime in the future.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.