MESA, Ariz. — Mesa’s mayor is downplaying a decision by Spirit Airlines to stop serving Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
The airline said it wants to serve primary airports and will offer daily nonstop service between Sky Harbor and Dallas/Fort Worth starting Oct. 24th. Service to Chicago O’Hare and Denver International Airport will begin Nov. 7.
Mayor Scott Smith said losing Spirit Airlines is “no big deal.”
“It’s a bump in the road,” Smith said. “While we value all of our airlines, Spirit was six to eight percent of our traffic is all.”
“Spirit was successful here,” Smith said. “They have a different business plan where they want to move to central city airports.
“Sure we’re disappointed, but it’s not going to impact our long-term plans. We’re still going to aggressively play for growth here. We think it will happen, and what other airlines do is really not that important.”
Smith thinks many Spirit Airlines passengers will switch to Allegiant Airlines and continue to fly in and out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway.
He also believes another airline will replace Spirit at the airport “sometime in the future.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon